The Military Family Advisory Network (MFAN), is hiring a director of external relations. This role is responsible for all external-facing work, specifically communications and advancement, and will report directly to the president and executive director.
The director of external relations will be responsible for designing and implementing communications and development strategies that position MFAN for continued growth, highlight the impact of MFAN’s work, and continue to build meaningful engagement with those we serve. A successful candidate will have practical experience in strategic communications and marketing as well as fundraising and will share MFAN’s commitment to best-in-class transparency, rigor, and polish.
This is a forward-facing, senior role, and the director of external relations must have experience leading remote teams and have a working knowledge of the military and veteran landscape (public and private sectors). Above all, the candidate will have an authentic appreciation and commitment to understanding and responding to the needs of modern military and veteran families.
- Omnichannel communications: Develop and implement an integrated communications plan that engages MFAN’s audiences, heightens MFAN’s visibility and brand recognition, and expands reach. Communications activities include but aren’t limited to email marketing, social media, digital advertising, and online outreach.
- Management and supervision: Lead MFAN’s communication team, including contractors, and oversee the development and relaunch of a new MFAN website.
- Messaging: Develop messaging and a content calendar, ensure that messages are tailored and customized for different audiences through thoughtful segmentation. Provide talking points for key media/speaking opportunities. Support message development across marketing channels including email, social media, and digital advertising.
- Public relations and media: Serve as the primary point person for media engagement to promote MFAN work and gain meaningful coverage of MFAN activities, milestones, and impact.
- Grassroots Engagement: Create and implement communications strategies and tactics to mobilize MFAN’s influencers, including the advisory board, alumni, ambassadors, and board members.
- Quality assurance: Review all external-facing communications to ensure they are error-free and align with MFAN’s communications strategies and messages.
- Development strategy and systems. Develop and implement a comprehensive, sustainable, annualized fundraising strategy that incorporates corporate, foundation, and individual giving. Identify communications strategies to support the activation of the development strategy, including a plan for analyzing ROI.
- Prospect identification and pipeline development. Manage the donor pipeline and develop systems to ensure an efficient, effective database. Provide reports to the president and executive director, senior director of operations and finance, and Board of Directors.
- Relationship building. Create, build, and cultivate relationships with new and existing donors. Support board members as they identify meaningful ways to support fundraising efforts.
- Grant writing and reporting. Write and edit proposals and reports. Collaborate with MFAN research, programs, and finance/operations teams to ensure accuracy and ability to deliver and effectively communicate impact.
- Stewardship. Develop and implement a stewardship plan that provides regular touchpoints with donors to communicate the impact of their giving.
- Minimum seven years of experience in communications and/or advancement.
- Experience supervising staff members, volunteers, and contractors.
- Appreciation for military life and an understanding of the military and veteran organization landscape.
- Ability to perform in a corporate, entrepreneurial environment and acclimate to the “MFAN way”.
- Demonstrated strategic planning and execution.
- Polish in all written and verbal communications.
- Facilitation experience and the ability to work with stakeholders to drive collaborative, meaningful impact.
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to set and meet deadlines.
This is a full-time, remote opportunity. Candidates are expected to have a dedicated workspace and work 9am – 5pm ET, Monday through Thursday, 9am – 2pm on Friday. Occasional weekend and after-hours work can be expected. Currently, MFAN staff is not traveling due to COVID-19. However, in the future, travel should be expected.
If you are ready to hit the ground running, want to contribute to a meaningful mission, and thrive in an exciting, fast-paced environment, we want to hear from you. MFAN is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested candidates should send their resume, cover letter, and salary requirements in .pdf format by Friday, March 19, 2021, to MFAN at email@example.com.