MilCents is a one-of-a-kind financial literacy program that combines information, online events, social media conversations, and free resources into a self-guided program designed to empower all military families to get their money in gear.
There are tons of great financial resources out there — so many that it’s difficult to know where to start. MFAN enlisted the support of experts, including the Council of Better Business Bureaus’ Military and Veterans Initiative, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) Foundation, and the National Foundation for Credit Counseling to identify some of the top resources and pull them into one program that will work for military families. Each day, you’ll learn something new, put that knowledge into action, and talk about it in MilCents’ safe and free online community.
During the program, you will:
- Learn how to read a Leave and Earnings Statement
- Understand your current financial situation, including monthly net
- Get your credit score and learn how to improve it
- Categorize your spending and saving
- Learn how to tackle debt
- Develop a plan for retirement
- Create a budget
- Learn how to protect your money and avoid predatory lenders